A house in the Northern Beaches is a lifetime treasure. You don’t have to venture far from Sydney to be in a quiet neighbourhood by the ocean or bush. So when your old house starts showing signs of wear and tear, your next sensible step is a home renovation. You can transform your home for the better and add more value to your property.
However, if you’re planning a home renovation in Northern Beaches, it can be challenging. You’ll need the help of an expert home designer like Martin Kolarik.
And here’s why.
What to expect with a home renovation in Northern Beaches
Northern Beaches Council is an amalgamation of the old Manly, Pittwater, and Warringgah local government areas. This region has areas of outstanding natural beauty, most notably its coastal and bushland environments. It has valuable ancient Aboriginal sites and heritage architecture as well. Thus, the council wants a balance between environmental protection, cultural conservation, and urban development. And that will have an impact on your home renovation plans.
Environmental or community protection
Depending on where your house is located, your home renovation in Northern Beaches will have to deal with any of these issues:
- For bushfire-prone areas – If your property is located near the bush, you may need to make your house more fire-resistant. You must comply with community building guidelines to help slow or prevent the spread of any future fires.
- For heritage conservation – Some places in the Northern Beaches have been identified as significant cultural heritage areas. These include ancient Aboriginal lands and colonial architecture dating back to the 1800s. In these areas, there are limits to how you can alter old properties and adjacent grounds.
- For coastal erosion hotspots – Properties located near the Northern Beaches’ coastline experience natural ground erosion by wind and ocean waves. These can prove hazardous over time. In these areas, you may need additional weatherproofing and a complete redesign.
- For safety and pollution control – A variety of old property issues also affect the safety of other people and the environment. Examples include:
- asbestos removal
- partial demolition and disposal of building waste
- tree preservation or removal
- adequate water run-off channels
- silt and sediment accumulation controls
- wildlife and security fencing
Government approval for your home renovation in Northern Beaches
Minor house repairs or alterations do not need government approval. But extensive home renovations do. Because these have an impact on the surrounding community or environment. And so you will need the consent of the Northern Beaches Council or New South Wales state government (via the NSW Planning Portal).
Depending on your case, you may need one or more of the following approvals:
1. Complying Development Certificate (CDC)
This is for major home renovations that fall under the category of ‘complying development.’ Such projects typically include works like:
- Significant internal home alterations
- New house wings or added floors
- Additional separate structures (e.g., Granny flat, a new single or two-storey dwelling)
- Partial demolitions
- Driveways, carports, and garages
- Swimming pools
2. Development Application (DA) for development consent
Some renovation projects are more complex. These do not fall under ‘complying development’ standards, If this is the case with your project, you need to lodge a Development Application (DA) either through the Northern Beaches Council or directly with the New South Wales state government.
3. Construction Certificate (CC)
If your project falls requires a DA, you will also need a construction certificate (CC). Before any renovation work begins, you must obtain this from the council or a private certifier.
Why you need a designer specialising in the Northern Beaches
But why keep track of approvals, all by yourself? Get the help of an experienced home designer. Even better, hire a designer who specialises in home renovations in Northern Beaches.
Martin Kolarik is the design expert who can sort out the details.
Martin Kolarik of Martin Kolarik Home Design is an expert in Northern Beaches home renovations.
He specialises in creating stylish and exciting home designs that are up to code and provide you with all the features you want.
He’s familiar with the Northern Beaches suburbs and communities. He knows the council regulations for building and development, and which renovation features comply with their requirements.
He can advise you which approval process is most suitable for your project. You’ll be spared from wasting time and money.
Martin Kolarik is the designer who can realise your dream home.
Best of all, the Martin Kolarik Home Design company has a team of highly skilled professionals and an extensive network of contacts. Martin can recommend the best people to work on your home renovation:
- Northern Beaches certifiers
- bushfire safety consultants
- Northern Beaches heritage conservation experts
Only a designer with the creative talent, experience, and connections in the Northern Beaches can provide you with a brilliantly redesigned home to satisfy both you and the local council.
Martin Kolarik has a 100% success rate of approvals with both Northern Beaches Council and New South Wales state regulations.
- the Development Application (DA) and Construction Certificate (CC) through the council
- the Complying Development Certificate (CDC) through the state government
With Martin Kolarik Home Design, you’ll achieve what you envision. Call us now to see how we can help you. Let’s discuss how we can bring your dream home to life!